Ready to Roll

Ready to Roll

Our History

My photo
Ohio, United States
Having recently retired we are fulfilling our long time dream. We began our camping life with a tent in 1969 adjusting as each of our three sons arrived over the years and gradually progressed to a 32' Class A in 2007. Even after our sons became too busy with their own interests, we continued dreaming over the years. The Louisville, KY 2003 Great North American RV Rally and the book "Movin' On" convinced us that a motorhome after retirement was really for us! In 2007 we sold our home and disposed of most of our belongings and awaited the wife's retirement on February 1, 2008. We were out in our first motorhome ten times in our first summer in 2007, with our grandson joining us eight of those ten times. Since he must stay behind with his mom and dad to continue school, we told him he can join us on vacations (by car or plane) anywhere we are as we travel the US. Imagine the history lessons he could acquire! However, Mom and Dad don't look at it that way, especially the flying. Fortunately we don't miss work one bit!! We just miss the friends there. We have many hobbies to keep us busy when we decide to sit still for a day. Hope to see you on the road.

Sunday, April 19, 2015

DAYS SPENT ABOUT IN HURRICANE AND ST. GEORGE

Friday we took a trip into St. George for a little shopping.  I do mean little, but while there we ran across Brigham Young's winter home Museum and the Mormon Temple.
Original home is the smaller area on the right.
The wood in the home and in the furniture was pine which was all that was available in the area.  Not liking the plain light wood, they did a lot of staining and faux painting to change the appearance to resemble many other woods and even marble!
Faux marble

The family loved music.

Former parlor turned dining room after new addition.
Plates on the side board were made with a false bottom
to hold hot water to keep food warm.

Faux painted woodwork and furniture.

Awesome example of furniture.





Original Mormon settlers as they arrived in this area.
The picture sure does not enhance the mountains
in the background.


An old store, turned into a deli,
 ice cream parlor.


Looks interesting enough for lunch!

And it was!  Great Schnitzel sandwich.

Carousel in use by area children!













































I wanted a picture of the cliffs behind the house, but Gary
got the VW.   Guess that is what I could expect since
the camera was in his hands!


















Saturday began with Gary doing some touch-up painting needed on the side mirrors of the motorhome and I slept in!!  I began with this Blog and then sorting my recipes to reduce the amount of stuff in the cupboard.  No use keeping anything that I have not used, unless I will use it soon!
I have found it so easy to look for a recipe on-line.  I had a concoction that I made a few weeks back that I called " Taco Casserole". When I tried to find anything like it on-line to send to my son, knowing he would like it, there was such a dish!!  I just tweaked it a little to my liking.  So the on-line recipe originated before my concoction!!  Imagine that.  I just learned not to put the toppings on the whole thing, but only the portion that we would eat that meal.  Then top the other after it is heated for use. JUST SOME INTERESTING INFO, HOPEFULLY!

Sunday was the usual except church was held in the park and a picnic after.  We skipped the picnic and ate at JB's instead.  It is one thing to be able to contribute food and to know the people, but this was our first Sunday there.  Good sermon though.

We read the rest of the afternoon.  Since it was in the eighties, I read outside until I finished my book. Then we walked around most of the streets in the park.  We need that everyday, but don't always get it done. I also spent time going though the Blog book that I had printed to check all of the blank pages.  I was very disappointed with this one.  I think that some of it is because of the spacing that I do.  But looking at the Blog on-line we do not see these empty spaces.  I can't understand.  And I found that the captions under the pictures are not inside the box around the pic as it is in the Blog. They become the part of the next paragraph.  I don't understand!!

Oh well, I will write them and see if I can find out anything.  Have a great week.
Victor, we appreciated your pictures and texts.  Hope that it was a good trip.

No comments: