Ready to Roll

Ready to Roll

Our History

My photo
Ohio, United States
Having recently retired we are fulfilling our long time dream. We began our camping life with a tent in 1969 adjusting as each of our three sons arrived over the years and gradually progressed to a 32' Class A in 2007. Even after our sons became too busy with their own interests, we continued dreaming over the years. The Louisville, KY 2003 Great North American RV Rally and the book "Movin' On" convinced us that a motorhome after retirement was really for us! In 2007 we sold our home and disposed of most of our belongings and awaited the wife's retirement on February 1, 2008. We were out in our first motorhome ten times in our first summer in 2007, with our grandson joining us eight of those ten times. Since he must stay behind with his mom and dad to continue school, we told him he can join us on vacations (by car or plane) anywhere we are as we travel the US. Imagine the history lessons he could acquire! However, Mom and Dad don't look at it that way, especially the flying. Fortunately we don't miss work one bit!! We just miss the friends there. We have many hobbies to keep us busy when we decide to sit still for a day. Hope to see you on the road.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

MESA ARIZONA

I know that I told you in the previous Blog that we are in a community for 55 and over. Well, I want you to know that they are YOUNG 55 and over people!! Today I laughed when I heard someone in our Tea group mention that there are many more younger people here this year!! I knew that they were not talking about us. So while sitting out around the pool listening to music this afternoon, I was looking around and I could see what they were talking about. While Obama is talking about making the retirement age older, there are many younger hurrying into retirement, from what I see!! So young and old we are having a fun time, but haven't even begun to sight see or travel from here any. We need to get busy on that!! Instead we have been trying to get settled into a group to work with since we are officially Workampers. This means that we have signed up to work around the resort in various capacities for twelve hours per week for each of us. We even turn in time cards. Then this entitles us to free rent and electric each month. Hopefully, this will free up some money for tours around here and trips back to Ohio when we want. This is "home" and all of the space between units is concrete for patio and vehicle parking. Very neat but the lot size is probably about thirty by forty. Not like the country campgrounds like Timashamie!! It is warm in the sun and very nice, but very cool at night. The cool begins even before the sun sets. But we will take it over snow any day!!
The plants and trees are much different from back home, of course. I said that there is a grapefruit tree at the street side of each lot. But in driving around, I found that some have oranges instead. Now we are wondering when they will be ripe. About two days after arriving, we got a new neighbor!! They just pulled their rig out of storage and brought it into a lot diagonally across from us and then left by plane for a trip. But it was a tight squeeze for them to back their rig into their spot, to say the least. I heard them say that they had checked out the lot a couple days prior and our lot was open so they thought that they would not have any problem getting in. Surprise!! Not much space for maneuvering, but they made it!! Take a look at the pictures that I took out of the front windshield of our motorhome!! You can just barely see the wife behind directing him!
Now you don't see her! Next you will see his front windshield in my face!!
He probably still had five feet between us!! Maybe!! Ah-h-h! Now I can breathe!!
And now you can see all of the neighbors who were helping ???? Gary came inside rather than get in trouble if he misdirected the gentleman. But I really think that he and his wife had it under control. And there was a drive between us and the next trailer beside us that gave him space to straighten out his rig. Had that been Gary and I, I am not so sure that we would have been so cool!!
We had our first experience as Workampers last Thursday when we decorated the main activities hall here in the park. I am not sure how many were working, but each had his duty and all was finished in about five and a half hours.
Gary got to hang most of the ceiling decorations and boy were his arm muscles sore the next day!! I had to stand all day working on the arrangements and stringing decorations. And I sure could tell that it had been more than two years since I stood to work all day!! We will have to keep at it to loosen up!!
The ceiling decorations are hung with magnets to the metal strips between ceiling tiles. Gary had to use a telescopic pole to get them up there. Hitting the correct spot was the challenge! But he had no complaints from anyone.
The head decorator specifically watched and directed every piece that was put on the trees, the stage and the arches. I was glad that I was not under her direction, but they did a great job!
I did help straighten out the swags that had been shoved into old boxes last year. But the people hanging them really did wonders. The lights and red ornaments that they added to these really made a difference. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a camera. So these pictures were taken the following day while the hall was crowded for the store (much like our craft shows).
Gary has since been stringing lights on artificial trees out by the pools and removing light globes to clean them and to replace bulbs on the patio. And I have been helping to cover tables and decorate them for events. I will also be involved in removing the table covers and decorations. They have so many activities and events here that it is a constant schedule. But I am happy to finally have a schedule. Now we can begin to plan some of our own time. Next Blog, I promise, will be some more scenery!!
There are people assigned to trim trees and help with landscaping. There are also people specifically assigned to take care of all of the rose bushes which line all of the roads into the park. There are also office jobs, and I would have preferred that, but since we are new bees I did not luck out. Maybe next year!
Oh yes, for Patty and Esther for whom I promised pictures of my curtains and drapes when they were hung, here they are. I got them finished before our last move here from New Mexico. And I am happy with the change. The afternoon sun comes in the living area side so my day shades are always down. But I do not close many of the drapes. Now the bedroom curtains are closed each night. And they do the job, keeping the light out!! Patty, a job well done!! Many thanks!!
Take care you all. And a very merry Christmas!!

No comments: